Greenace Area Community Centre
The Greenacre Area Community Centre (GACC) is a not for profit community organisation offering a range of services and programs to the local communities of Greenacre, Chullora, Mt Lewis and the wider Canterbury Bankstown Local Government Area.
GACC has been in operation since 1997. It became an incorporated Association in 2002 under the name Greenacre Area Neighbourhood Centre Inc., changing its name in 2011 to Greenacre Area Community Centre to reflect the terminology more commonly used within the community.
Whilst programs and services have evolved over the years in response to community needs and the availability of funding, GACC has retained its focus on providing community capacity building programs for the whole community, with a particular focus on children, youth, families, elderly and those who are isolated or disadvantaged.
The Greenacre Area Community Centre receives funding from the State Government and from other sources to enable the implementation of programs to address identified needs in the community. Hall Hire and other fundraising strategies diversify the means of funding to help the Centre flourish.
Some of the services we provide, include:
Information and referral to other services that can assist you on issues such as:
- Family Issues and Child Welfare
- Health Services including Mental Health
- Income Support and Centrelink Services
- Employment Services
- Educational/Vocational Services including TAFE
- Respite Services for Carers
- Early Childhood Centres
- Services for Newly Arrived Migrants and Refugees
- Youth Services
- Home Care Services
- Low Income Accommodation including Public Housing
- Legal Services
- Immigration and Citizenship
- Transport Issues
We also provide:
- Photocopy services for a small cost
- Assistance with form filling
- Assistance with contacting a government agency on your behalf
- Basic advocacy on your behalf to a service provider or government agency
- Work Development Order Program (WDO)
- Tax Help Program
- Food Share Program
- Supported Playgroup Program
- Family Empowerment Program
- Social/Educational and Recreational groups
We aim to help by
- Providing information and referral to members of the local community;
- Providing programs that meet the needs of the local community;
- Providing low income individuals with free TAX HELP assistance;
- Providing free or low cost activities for children and youth;
- Providing all residents and visitors with a welcoming, helpful and informative centre;
- Providing professional supervision for social work students from a range of universities.
- The Greenacre Area Community Centre has been in operation since its official opening in 1997. Below is a snapshot of the centre’s history.
- In 1987-88 research was carried out by Bankstown Community Services Co-op (BCSC) about the need for, and feasibility of, Neighbourhood Centres being established in other parts of the Bankstown LGA.
- In 1995 BCSC proposed the creation of a Neighbourhood Centre in the Greenacre area by the Western Sydney Area Assistance Scheme (WSAAS) planning / consultation process. The proposal was supported by the needs of a social and economic disadvantaged area.
- In mid1996, funding for six years was granted to BCSC to establish a Neighbourhood Centre with basic staffing to provide community development and social welfare services with the proviso that the Centre would become an incorporated legal body responsible for all its own actions.
- On 28 September, 1997 The Greenacre Area Neighbourhood Centre was officially opened and based temporarily at the Greenacre Church of Christ on Waterloo Rd.
- On 21 July 1999, the Centre moved to a new location at 171a Waterloo Rd, Greenacre.
- On 18 October 2002, the Centre became incorporated with the name Greenacre Area Neighbourhood Centre Inc.
- In 2011 the Centre officially changed its name to Greenacre Area Community Centre (GACC), to reflect the terminology more commonly used within the community.